March 21, 2016 By Jacob Hands
Shooting Sports Campout April 1-3
Meeting at the church on Friday April 1 at 6pm
Returning Sunday April 3 at approximately 2pm
April 29, 2016 By Cindi Perrine
Please refer to the Troop Calendar for upcoming events. Below are additional announcements and event details.
SUMMER CAMP MERIT BADGE UPDATE
You should have received an email from Mrs. Zayad on April 27th (Subject: Summer Camp Parent Meeting and Updates) regarding Merit Badges for Scout Camp. Please review the information carefully as quite a lot has changed with our switch to Camp Freeland Leslie. It’s very important that prerequisites are done before camp and blue cards are properly filled out. If you have any questions, check the email and its attached documents first, then see Mrs. Zayad if you are still unclear. A little planning and reading now will save everyone a lot of frustration and disappointment later! .
Rafting May 13 – 15 Gardner Dam – Sign up and Pay by 5/2!
- Cost is $40 per person for rafting, helmets and wetsuits. All attendees will need to pay grub master fees and a $10 gas surcharge to their driver to/from the campsite.
- All attendees must also turn in a signed consent form before we depart. You can find it here: http://www.shotguneddy.com/Media/liability.pdf or get a paper copy from Mr. Cernik.
- Meet at 1st Presbyterian at 5:30 pm to depart by 6.
Mademann Campership Applications Due by May 2
- The Mademann Campership provides $200/year each to 2 scouts to help cover the costs of summer camp with Troop 23. Eligible scouts have attended Boy Scout summer camp at least one time and have been active in Troop 23 over the past year.
- Applicants must write an essay describing why Summer Camp is important to them and how it fits with their scouting plan for the coming year.
- Contact Mr. Meyer, the Campership coordinator (email@example.com; 1 630 730 9295) with any questions.
Scout Council Service Opportunity May 3 St. Charles
- The Scout Council is looking for 6 to 8 High School or 8th grade troop members to man a phone bank at the Council Office in St. Charles on Tuesday, May 3rd, from 7pm to 8:30.
- You will be making calls to past donors to confirm their willingness to contribute to the scouting program.
- Pizza and drink will be provided, and this will count for service hours.
- Non-uniform event. See Mr. Jeffers to sign up or call 630-682-3388.
November 15, 2015 By Jacob Hands
On July 7th, 2016 – nearly 8 months from now – Troop 23 is sending two crews to Philmont Scout Ranch in northeastern New Mexico, and our scouts are already preparing for the outing. A trek at Philmont is a difficult endeavor, and going on practice hikes well in advance is vital. I would know. My name is Jacob Hands, and I was on one of the crews our troop sent to Philmont in 2014. To this day, I consider it one of the most challenging things I have done in my Scouting career. I also consider it the most fun I have ever had as a Scout. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has not been there yet. I will be writing entries for this Philmont Log over the next few months, giving my tips and tricks to surviving Philmont for the members of the current crews and for those who take on Philmont after us. See you then!
If you have been to Philmont and have your own advice for future hikers, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Find more information about Philmont on their official website at http://www.scouting.org/philmont.aspx